AddisZefen - Ethiopian Video
Welcome
Login

Africa


  • Ethiopia: "Prepared for more military action"

    Ethiopia's government has confirmed troops have clashed along the border with Eritrea.Information Minister Getachew Reda says there've been significant casualties on both sides. He has warned, Addis is prepared for more military action.CCTV's Girum Chala has this update.

    Read more »
  • Ethiopians seized Eritrean stronghold: Source

    The heavy fighting in the Tsorena area of the Ethiopian Eritrea border subsided after Ethiopian troops captured a strategic location., a military source confided to HornAffairs.


    The Eritrean mechanized company in charge of the area has surrendered, the source claimed. Ranking officers are among the captives. (AFP file photo)

    The situation in Sheraro and Zalambesa areas remain highly tense and volatile.

    Ethiopian troops have been in control of the high points of “Inda-hawarya and Unashuak,” which is described as a mountain chain and natural defense. However, the low lying area in between was under Eritrean control “for years.” That undermined the Ethiopians position and created vulnerability. The Eritrean troops had fortified their hold with six round fortification and deep tunnels, according to the HornAffairs source.

    Ethiopian troops were able to control the area in the weekend. The Eritrean mechanized company in charge of the area has surrendered, the source claimed. Ranking officers are among the captives.

    Read more at HornAffairs

    Audio: Ethiopia’s information minister told RFI on Monday that Ethiopian forces carried out a counter attack against Eritrean troops who had attacked Ethiopian positions.

    Read more »
  • Heavy fighting breaks out again between Ethiopia and Eritrea

    Ethiopia’s information minister told RFI on Monday that Ethiopian forces carried out a counter attack against Eritrean troops who had attacked Ethiopian positions. Getachew Reda said the Ethiopian army had neutralised the threat, but did not give details of casualties, saying it was a serious offensive, not just a simple skirmish. Eritrea’s government had late on Sunday issued a statement saying Ethiopia had been responsible for launching an attack in the Tsorana Central Front area. Eritrea won independence from Ethiopia in 1991 after years of war, but fighting broke out again between the two countries from 1998 to 2000. RFI’s Daniel Finnan spoke to Getachew Reda, Ethiopia’s Information Minister…

    Source: Radio France Internationale’s English service

    Read more »
  • Extradited Eritrean Human-Trafficker 'wrong man' - BBC


    Friends of a man extradited to Italy on Tuesday on people smuggling charges say police have the wrong man. 

    Prosecutors believe Mered Medhanie, known as The General, is at the heart of the operation to smuggle migrants from Africa to Europe. 

    An Eritrean man authorities say is Mr Mered was held in Sudan in May and flown to Rome on Tuesday. 

    But the man's friends told the BBC there had been a case of mistaken identity and he was innocent. 

    He was named by friends as Mered Tesfamariam. 

    A spokesman for Britain's National Crime Agency (NCA), that was involved in the operation, told the Press Association they were "liaising with our partners". 

    It added: "This is a complex multi-partner operation and it is too soon to speculate about these claims." 

    An Italian police official told the BBC that he was unaware of any investigation into the identity of the suspected smuggler. The BBC understands that the Italian police still believe they have the right person.

    Read more at the BBC 

    Read more »
  • UN: "Up to 400,000 Eritreans forced into slavery"

    Officials in Eritrea have enslaved up to 400,000 people in the past 25 years, according to a UN inquiry that calls for perpetrators to be tried by the international criminal court.

    The Eritrean government has committed crimes against humanity in a widespread and systematic manner, the UN Commission of Inquiry for Eritrea announced on Wednesday.

    Yemane Gebreab, a spokesman for the Eritrean government, said in a statement that the report “has no solid evidence or firm legal basis to support its extreme and unfounded charges."

     
    Hundreds of Eritreans demonstrate in front of the African Union headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, asking for measures to be taken against Eritrea in June 2015. Photograph: Nichole Sobecki/AFP/Getty Images

    The situation in Eritrea has led hundreds of thousands to flee the country, and some to seek asylum in Europe following hellish journeys across the Sahara and the Mediterranean.

    According to a recent UN report, more than 47,000 Eritreans sought asylum last year in Europe.

    Read more »
Like our AddisZefen facebook page for more latest Ethiopian news!

LATEST ETHIOPIAN VIDEOS

RSS